Hair, Skin and Body Care with Olive Oil
By Elana Iaciofano • June 20, 2019
All of the reasons that make olive oil a wonderful ingredient for your cooking also make it fabulous for your skin, too. Let’s break it down:
Olive oil contains squalene, an ultra-hydrating ingredient that nourishes the skin. It’s loaded with antioxidants which help fight against free radical damage. It’s packed with vitamins A, D, E, and K. And it’s shown to have antibacterial properties. So grab that bottle of EVOO, because we’ve got some easy skincare DIY’s for you try!
An olive oil-based face mask is a great way to take care of your skin from the outside-in! Here are a few of our favorites:
Olive Oil and Honey Mask for Sensitive Skin
Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it great for sensitive acne-prone skin.
- 2 tbsp honey (manuka honey is best)
- 1 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mix the honey and olive oil in a small, heat-proof bowl. Microwave for about 10 seconds, just to warm it a little and make the honey loosen up.
- Using the tips of your fingers, or a brush, apply a thin layer of the mixture to your face. Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water and a clean cloth.
Olive Oil, Avocado, and Honey Mask for Extra Hydration
Avocado has fatty acids, antioxidants, and natural oils, making it ultra-moisturizing, especially in combination with olive oil.
- 1 tbsp Colavita Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp manuka honey
- ¼ very ripe (or even over-ripe) avocado
- Combine all the ingredients, and mix well, mashing the avocado until a smooth consistency is formed. Using the tips of your fingers, or a brush, apply a thin layer of the mixture to your face.
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with warm water and a clean cloth.
Olive Oil and Coffee Facial Scrub for Exfoliation
Want to get your skin summer ready? Try our Olive Oil and Coffee Facial Scrub for Exfoliation.
Coffee grounds will exfoliate your skin as the olive oil soothes and hydrates it! Make a little extra and store it at room temperature in a jar for a few weeks.
- 3 tbsp coffee grounds – fine ground
- 2 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. The resulting mixture will look like mud. Take a small dollop of the coffee and olive oil mixture and gently scrub it onto your skin. Then rinse completely with water.
Olive Oil and Sugar Scrub
For a whole body scrub, try our Olive Oil and Sugar Scrub.
White or brown sugar is a fantastic exfoliant when combined with olive oil. Your skin will be fresh and smooth! For added benefits, mix in some essential oils, like lavender for a fantastic smelling and relaxing addition!
- 1 cup granulated sugar, either white or brown
- ½ cup Colavita Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A few drops essential oil of your preference (optional)
- 1 small wide-mouth mason jar
- Place all the ingredients in a mason jar. Mix until all the sugar is incorporated into the oil and is evenly distributed. Massage into your skin while showering, rinsing as you go. Store the extra scrub in your shower with the lid tightly closed.
DIY Hair Care
To treat hair with olive oil, simply massage 1-3 tablespoons (depending on hair length and thickness) into your hair, concentrating on the roots for blood flow stimulation and the tips to help moisturize split ends. Let sit for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Or try an Olive Oil, Avocado and Milk Hair Mask:
- ½ avocado
- 3 tbsp Colavita Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- Mash the avocado in a bowl. Add three tablespoons of Colavita olive oil and two tablespoons of milk. Whip the mixture, creating a smooth consistency. Apply the mask to hair, concentrating on the roots and distributing evenly through to the tips. After 30 minutes, rinse the mask with warm water.
- We hope you try some of these easy skincare recipes. If you do, shout us out on Instagram with a photo!